httpd-dev mailing list archives

From sameer <sam...@c2.net>
Subject Re: mod_pics_simple
Date Thu, 31 Oct 1996 18:53:18 GMT
> would be a good thing as well.  So, I guess I'm saying I'm interested in
> hearing about the "cons" of PICS.

	The basic problem with PICS is that it's been created within
the threat of government coercion. It is true that PICS can be used
for much more than net-nanny, but it was created to be used for
net-nanny in the context of a government threat of censorship.
	The MPAA move ratings are a similar parallel. They are
"voluntary" only in name. They were created because the government
essentially created a threat: "censor yourselves or we will censor
you." So the ratings were setup, and X movies didn't show anywhere, so
producers would make sure that their movies didn't get the X rating so
it wouldn't be a kiss of death, dumbing down the movie industry. NC17
was created to attempt to fix that, but NC17 turned out just like
X. Those of us living in SF may not think the movie industry is in bad
shape due to ratings, but SF is a bit of an exception, I would think.

	So I think the jury is still out on whether or not PICS is a
good thing. I don't think we should explicitly endorse it by bundling
with the server.

--
Sameer Parekh					Voice:   510-986-8770
C2Net						FAX:     510-986-8777