httpd-dev mailing list archives

From sameer <sam...@c2.net>
Subject mod_pics_simple
Date Thu, 31 Oct 1996 01:18:30 GMT
	Now that mod_pics_simple is already in the tree I feel like I
am too late to talk about this, but we haven't shipped a beta yet, so
maybe there is hope.

	I don't think we should put mod_pics_simple in the standard
distribution. I think that PICS is a very highly charged
politically-loaded censorship standard. Now I'm not saying that the
group should ditch mod_pics_simple as a statement that PICS is wrong,
but it seems to me that inclusion of PICS is an implicit support for
PICS.
	Now if the group consensus is we *should* support PICS, then I
am not going to continue to say that mod_pics_simple should be
removed. But if the group doesn't feel like advocating the standard,
it shouldn't be included.
	(I have no problem with it being on the module registry and
available on the www.apache.org site. That sort of availability
doesn't appear that it is endorsement)

	So if the group doesn't want to endorse PICS, I think we
should remove it.

(time to put on ye ol' asbestos suit now)
--
Sameer Parekh					Voice:   510-986-8770
C2Net						FAX:     510-986-8777