httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Aram Mirzadeh <...@qosina.com>
Subject Re: get_remote_name performance tweak
Date Thu, 24 Oct 1996 03:12:42 GMT
Dean Gaudet said:

> Below is a patch (against 1.1.1) that adds another type to get_remote_name --
> REMOTE_NOLOOKUP.  This skips the lookup and returns the name/ip that is
> known already.  This is then used in update_child_status so that no
> DNS lookups are forced for the status page.

Just for giggles, has anyone thought about making this a cache DNS rather
than a forced lookup, don't lookup deal?

Excluding the cpu cost of doing a dns lookup, I don't see a reason why
someone wouldn't want a dns name rather the ip.  ( assuming they want
some dns in the first place).

We use it just to see the percentages between us and foreign hits.

<Aram>
--
                                        | Aram Mirzadeh
I'm not under the alkafluence of inkahol| MIS Manager
that some thinkle peep I am.            | Qosina Corp.
It's just the drunker I sit here the    | http://www.qosina.com/~awm/
longer I get.                           | awm@qosina.com
                			| Apache httpd - awm@hyperreal.com
	   -- PGP Key http://www.qosina.com/~awm/pgpkey.html --
	  -- BE 49 9D F6 2A A7 22 FC  02 E9 1E 3D F7 0C 67 A0 --