httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: New ranlib stuff
Date Wed, 23 Oct 1996 17:00:04 GMT
Paul Sutton wrote:

> I've just tried the new Configure, with ranlib guessing, which seems like
> a good idea to me. However if it cannot find the ranlib command it puts
>
>   RANLIB=not found
>
> into the Makefile. Configure needs to check for this like it does for
> CC. Incidently, is there any reason why this check is made for a magic
> string, rather than using the exit status of GuessWhere, e.g:
>
>   if CC=`GuessWhere cc` ; then ... ; fi

Not really... Using an exit status is better, I agree. I'll make
the change.

Also, GuessWhere right now returns the full pathname, so, for example,
CC will be set to /usr/local/Gnu/bin/gcc instead of just gcc... Does
anyone have trouble with that? GuessWhere does the former instead of
the latter simply for future possible use...

> Also Configuration.tmpl still has comments about setting RANLIB, which
> don't apply now.

Consider it cleaned.

--
Jim Jagielski  << jim@jaguNET.com >>   |   "If we took the bones out
  **  jaguNET Access Services  **      |    it wouldn't be crunchy"