httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Brown <mbr...@OpenMarket.com>
Subject Re: WWW Form Bug Report: "Server Side Push blocking bug" on Linux (fwd)
Date Fri, 18 Oct 1996 12:23:30 GMT

    This is not exactly a bug, though it is well known. The tacky
    solution is to use NPH. The cool solution is to use a header
    returned from the CGI to turn off buffering. I keep meaning to
    implement this. Perhaps I'll get round to it one day. Someone'll
    have to do it for Apache 2.0, for sure.

An even cooler solution is to put a time limit on how long you let
stuff linger in the CGI buffer.  So if the application sends
continuously it gets the benefits of buffering, but if the application
stops sending the data it has already sent gets pushed to the client.
That's the behavior of the FastCGI module.

    --mark