httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: WWW Form Bug Report: "Hard-coded 150 connection limit not documented " on FreeBSD (fwd)
Date Mon, 14 Oct 1996 22:19:26 GMT
Brian Behlendorf wrote:

> On Mon, 14 Oct 1996, Jim Jagielski wrote:
> > Ben Laurie wrote:

> > > I haven't quite understood why this limit is hard? Is there any reason not
> > > make it soft?
> >
> > I haven't looked too closely at it... I'm guessing that it's only on
> > the file-version of the scoreboard that it would be a concern doing
> > a "on-the-fly" malloc of the space, and even then it's a simple matter
> > of when it's done...
>
> The only reason I can think of why this would be a "feature" is if the
> individual responsible for admining the machine (let's call them "root") and
> building the software was different from the individual maintaining the config
> files (let's call them "www-user"), and "root" didn't want to allow "www-user"
> to be able to configure anything which "root" knew would bring the machine to
> its knees.
>

>From what I can tell, it would require a bit of work to allow on-the-fly
malloc of scoreboard space, since a lot is set and assumed in scoreboard.h

I'm 0 on changing it... I think most people just wanted to know there
_was_ a hard, internal limit.

--
Jim Jagielski  << jim@jaguNET.com >>   |   "If we took the bones out
  **  jaguNET Access Services  **      |    it wouldn't be crunchy"