httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: indent
Date Wed, 09 Oct 1996 09:51:55 GMT
Roy T. Fielding wrote:

> > Oh yeah... does the current source "agree" with that (ie: is the
> > current CVS tree code pre-indented)? If not, then now might NOT
> > be a good time to start changing it to reflect it; I've seen
> > many a code mangled via (GNU)indent. That is, unless we want to
> > hold off the beta-release until we know that the indentification
> > worked OK :)
>
> I have never seen code break from being indent-ified -- the only thing
> I've seen happen is the comments get messed up.

The usual times I've seen things screwed up is when indent gets
confused with #ifdefs and comments. This is with GNUindent,
however, and older versions so the problem may be resolved
(I'll have to check gnu.utils.bugs)

> On the other hand, I don't intend to do it all at once either -- indent'ing
> is something that gets done one file at a time, and it will take a
> couple iterations to get the profile right (what I committed was just
> those options that we agreed on -- there are many others which may
> require tuning to get right).  However, I think it can be accomplished
> before the current buglist gets closed-out (and it won't hurt any more
> than the current situation if we publish the first beta with only a
> portion if the code indent'ed).

Let's do it then...

+1

--
Jim Jagielski  << jim@jaguNET.com >>   |   "If we took the bones out
  **  jaguNET Access Services  **      |    it wouldn't be crunchy"