httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Ralf S. Engelschall" <...@en.muc.de>
Subject Re: Stopping rewrites from higher directories?
Date Tue, 08 Oct 1996 16:17:46 GMT
On 8 Oct 1996 15:13:22 +0100 in en.lists.apache-new-httpd you wrote:
> On Sat, 5 Oct 1996, Ralf S. Engelschall wrote:
> > On 4 Oct 1996 15:07:16 +0100 in en.lists.apache-new-httpd you wrote:
> > > I am having a few probs with mod_rewrite because of the following
> > > phenomena:
> >
> > > If I have this in the .htaccess of my top docs directory
> >
> > > RewriteRule ^foo\.html$ /cgi-bin/prog.pl
> >
> > > Then this works but it is also applied if I access any subdirectory of
> > > docs; unless I set AllowOverride None. (presumably decause all higer
> > > directories are consulted).
> >
> > > Is there some way of turning off this behaviour?  ie can I
> > > redirect/rewrite just from particular directories and not their
> > > subdirectories?
> >
> > Yes, that can be considered either as a bug or a feature.  I implemented it
> > this way for a feature but you are right: in most cases this act like a bug
> > :-( I changed the default behaviour to _NOT_ inherit configuration which is
> > more correct for near 99% of all cases. When someone now wants to inherit
> > rules from parent dir .htaccess files he now has to use "RewriteOptions
> > inherit" in the subdirs .htaccess file.

> I'm presuming one can set "RewriteOptions inherit" in the top-level .htaccess,
> or in the .conf files, and get the same behavior?

I think it will be aquivalent.

>[..]
> > This change I've incorporated in the bugfix release 2.3.4. Just grab it from
> > the mod_rewrite homepage.

> Since it's now a part of the core distribution, please let us know when you
> update it, and what the changes are.

I update detailled ChangeLog and extracted NEWS and PatchLog files for each
release. They can be directly accessed through
http://www.engelschall.com/sw/mod_rewrite/. I didn't post any little bugfix
release, only the major ones. But I keep an eye open for the fact that a
current release should be commited to the Apache CVS tree _BEFORE_ any beta
releases. Because the already committed 2.3.0 release has a few really nasty
bugs which were fixed in 2.3.4 and the following bugfix releases.

You can allways commit any 2.3.x version in the future because I do no longer
add real functionality to mod_rewrite. I'm currently working only on makeing
it really stable for Apache 1.2.

Greetings,
                                        Ralf S. Engelschall
                                        rse@engelschall.com