httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Ralf S. Engelschall" <...@en.muc.de>
Subject Re: add perm redirect, NCSA compatible
Date Tue, 08 Oct 1996 16:07:45 GMT
On 8 Oct 1996 15:13:39 +0100 in en.lists.apache-new-httpd you wrote:

> The patch below adds NCSA-style RedirectPermanent and RedirectTemp
> directives, to return 302 and 301 statuses. It could easily be extended to
> handle a directive to return 303 (See Other), or even - with a special
> case check to not return Location - 410 (Gone) status. Incidently, the
> text associated with 302 is still "Found", which should probably be
> changed to "Redirect Temporarily" to match HTTP/1.1.

> Incidently I added the new directives because they are NCSA-compatible.
> However I would prefer to use an optional argument to Redirect
> to give the status - this also makes it extensible if any other return
> statuses are added in the future, eg

>   Redirect /path http://some.com/
>   Redirect Temporary /path http://some.com/
>   Redirect Permanent /path http://some.com/
>   Redirect SeeOther /path http://some.com/
>   Redirect 301 /path http://some.com/

Is setting r->status is correct way to do this? I ask because last time we
discussed we thought that there should be a REDIRECT_TEMPORRARILY return code
or such.  This is important to me because I want to add this functionality to
mod_rewrite, but wanted to avoid things which are not API compliant...

> [...]
> +     new->status = (int)cmd->info;
> [...]
> + 	    *status = p->status;