httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Andrew Wilson <and...@aaaaaaaa.demon.co.uk>
Subject Re: set/unset Headers
Date Tue, 08 Oct 1996 12:14:30 GMT
> On Mon, 7 Oct 1996, Rob Hartill wrote:
> > Paul Sutton wrote:
> > >I've put together a module which implements header setting/removing.  It
> > >is called mod_headers.c, add I've uploaded it by ftp to hyperreal.com in
> > >httpd/incoming/mod_headers.c.
> >
> > >  <Files ~ .*\.gif>
> > >  Header set Cache-Control: max-age=84000
> > >  </Files>
> >
> > Is this a better scheme to use than "Expires" ?
>
> It is, I think, used by HTTP/1.1 clients in preference to the Expires:
> header. Given that Apache has no other way of setting Cache-Control, this
> gives the server admin at least some way of setting this header and making
> Apache more usefully 1.1 compliant. The Header command also lets people
> use any other headers, even ones defined after HTTP/1.1, or used by HTTP
> extensions or private groups.
>
> Paul
> UK Web

Any reason why mod_expires.c shouldn't be modified to send
Cache-Control: as well as Expires: headers?  This behaviour was
hinted at by Roy about a million years ago but was never added.
What is the relationship between the Expires: header generated for
a resource (human readable ctime() timestamp) and the max-age=????
timeout?  Is there any reason why both E: and CC: shouldn't be
present at the same time?

Ay.