httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Hartill <r...@imdb.com>
Subject Re: set/unset Headers
Date Mon, 07 Oct 1996 13:46:42 GMT
Paul Sutton wrote:

>I've put together a module which implements header setting/removing.  It
>is called mod_headers.c, add I've uploaded it by ftp to hyperreal.com in
>httpd/incoming/mod_headers.c.

>  <Files ~ .*\.gif>
>  Header set Cache-Control: max-age=84000
>  </Files>

Is this a better scheme to use than "Expires" ?

Some lazy (ask first, try later) questions..

Does it suffer from the Netscape-brain-damage where after the
age has been reached, Netscape will keep requesting via "get-if-modified"
and never update its cache settings ? (netscape goes into an infinite
loop with animated gifs here).

Will the header always be applied, even if, say a "not modified" response
has been returned ? "Expires" headers have to be sent each time and
I suspect "Cache-Control" would be the same.

Sounds like it might be worth a try.

rob