httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Hartill <r...@imdb.com>
Subject Apache 1.2 (fwd)
Date Fri, 04 Oct 1996 09:17:58 GMT

not acked

----- Forwarded message from Andy Bryant -----

Sender: A.J.Bryant@nortel.co.uk
Date: Fri, 04 Oct 1996 08:59:08 +0100
From: Andy Bryant <A.J.Bryant@nortel.co.uk>
To: apache-bugs@apache.org
Subject: Apache 1.2

I've got a suggestion for the new setuid wrapper in 1.2

How about letting a CGI-SCRIPT run as the user who has logged in, ie as
$REMOTE_USER.  Obviously root would be disallowed.  I have an
application where I am trying to use Netscape as a kind of 'file
manager', across multiple platforms.  I can't run the script as root
(for the usual security problems), and I want access to the files in a
particular directory (not the users home directory) to be based around
he who has just logged in.

Any suggestions?  Is this available already as a server module?  Any
idea when Apache 1.2 will be ready for use?

Cheers for your help, Andy.
--
Andy Bryant
Product Design & Technology        ESN 742 2647

----- End of forwarded message from Andy Bryant -----

--
Rob Hartill (robh@imdb.com)
http://www.imdb.com/  ... why wait for a clear night to see the stars?.