httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Chuck Murcko <ch...@telebase.com>
Subject Re: apache proxy cache (fwd)
Date Thu, 03 Oct 1996 23:43:35 GMT
Ben Laurie liltingly intones:

> > I will check this specific case, 'cause if it's doing what Kyle claims, it's
> > most definitely a serious bug. In addition, though unfortunate, the
> > password is currently passed in the clear on the net. This should be
> > addressed in future.
>
> Uh. The password is always passed in the clear for FTP. Cool protocol!

Yes, it is. And will be, until authentication schemes are integrated into the
proxy, and the things it talks to. Hmmm, SFTP, passive, of course. Other-
wise the proxy itself could be a munition, unless the key size stays
56 bits or less, as of a couple of days ago(at least here in the States).

chuck
And now, on a lighter note:
In a medium in which a News Piece takes a minute and an "In-Depth"
Piece takes two minutes, the Simple will drive out the Complex.
		-- Frank Mankiewicz