httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Behlendorf <>
Subject Re: Cookies -> Tracking
Date Thu, 26 Sep 1996 04:13:01 GMT
On Mon, 23 Sep 1996, Mark J Cox wrote:
> > > mod_cookies.c -> mod_usertrack.c
> > > If there are no comments I'll make the naming changes early next week.
> > Looks like this never happened.
> Jim gave it a "-1" saying that since it used cookies it should be called
> cookies.  I still think that the module is for user tracking and the fact
> that it currently uses cookies to do this doesn't matter.

I agree with this as well.  It may turn out that there'll be other sources for
tracking sessions in the future, and I'd want this module to evolve, not a new
one to be written.  Jim, could you reconsider?

> > Hey, was there any talk about putting the tracking ID somewhere where
> > mod_log_config has access to it separately, instead of trying to log %{Cookie}i
> > and %{Set-Cookie}o, which could contain other cookies for other applications?
> Alexei wrote a patch that put the Cookie in the "notes" section.  Add
> added a new directive to the logger to get things out of notes.  I wrote a
> follow-on patch that used this functionality to remove ALL logging code
> from mod_cookies.c.
> Were there any comments on these patches?  I'll +1 Alexei's original.

There's still logging code in mod_cookies, and I don't see anything in
mod_log_config about getting stuff out of "notes".  I think this would
definitely be worthwhile - anyone still have that patch?  Anyone want to veto
the idea?

View raw message