httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Sutton <p...@ukweb.com>
Subject Re: Config log patch
Date Tue, 03 Sep 1996 14:09:52 GMT
On Sat, 31 Aug 1996, Alexei Kosut wrote:
> On Tue, 27 Aug 1996, Paul Sutton wrote:
> > This patch provides this ability. Specifically, it adds a new directive
> >
> >    CustomLogAll filename format
> >
> > which is valid in the main server only. It causes _all_ requests to be
> > logged to the filename in the format given, irrespective of which server
> > handles the request. I think this is very useful functionality.
>
> Agreed, but I wonder if it shouldn't be done the other way
> around (and the way that most directives work): CustomLog in the main
> server affects all of 'em, CustomLog in the virtual servers only
> affects that server. (<VirtualHost *> should work if you only want to
> change a setting in the main server). That would make sense to me.

Yeah, except that TransferLog is one of those which doesn't behave like
this, and CustomLog is really just TransferLog with an extra argument. In
fact, it could be removed altogether now that your TAKE12 patch lets
directives have an optional second argument:

   TransferLog  logs/access-log
   TransferLog  logs/host-log    "%{host}i"

So I think that CustomLog ought to have the same semantics as TransferLog,
where any logs in virtual hosts override the main server.

Also, making CustomLog in the main server default to handling all requests
would mean it is impossible to have a log file of _only_ main server
requests.

Um, by the way, is it worth replacing CustomLog with an enhanced
TransferLog directive? I sometimes think that the number and naming of
directives is getting a little out of hand, and this could be a good place
to _not_ add a new directive...

Paul
UK Web Ltd