httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <ako...@nueva.pvt.k12.ca.us>
Subject Re: Configur{e,ation} changes
Date Mon, 09 Sep 1996 05:51:04 GMT
On Sun, 8 Sep 1996, Jim Jagielski wrote:

> > Though, as I've pointed out before, having all these little divisions
> > can make Configuration large and unweidly. I'd rather use
> > autoconf, with partial (or no) OS-based selection. But I think I've
> > said that before.
> >

> For the number of OSs that we need to handle, it's easy to either
> fold the OS-guessing routine into Configure or, better yet, create
> a Configure.guess routine. After all, it's simply a large case-switch
> around the return values of uname.

Why is it I get the impression that if the time and energy invested
into this ongoing "discussion" - about six months worth of it - had
been instead put into coding, we could have rewritten autoconf from
scratch by now, and maybe a C compiler or two on the side?

I uploaded a few weeks ago a set of scripts (generated by autoconf)
that do exactly what you just said. You didn't seem to like them; I
never did quite figure out why.

> For now, I think having the person at least need to edit Configure to
> select their OS is minimal stuff.

Individually, having to select a OS is minimal. Having to select an OS
from a large list (more than 20 - i.e. it becomes necessary to page)
is not minimal, since it will confuse the average user. Heck, it
confuses me. I just want to type configure and make and have it work. If
I want to use optional modules, yeah, I guess I have to go back and
edit things (I really would like to see working dld implementations for
2.0, though), but I'd like a basic web server without it.

Back when we first released 1.1.0, I took a look at the stats of the
downloaded after a couple days - about 60% of the downloads were of
the pre-compiled binaries. If that goes to show anything about the
"average" user of Apache (actually, I tend to download pre-compiled
binaries of software where available, too. I makes life easier. But I
guess that's what this is all about).

Anyhow, I think we've been through this before.