httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <ako...@nueva.pvt.k12.ca.us>
Subject Re: Terminology: URI and URL
Date Tue, 03 Sep 1996 00:14:52 GMT
On Mon, 2 Sep 1996, Ralf S. Engelschall wrote:

> While writing an article about mod_rewrite I discovered that there is a
> subtle problem in terminology of URLs and URIs in practice (in theorie is is
> clear because of the definition). I don't know how to name a string
> "http://www.anyhost.dom/foo/bar/quux/" when I mean _EXACTLY_ this format and
> how to name a string "/foo/bar/quux/" when I mean _EXACTLY_ that format (ok,
> I could name it a Unix filesystem path but that is ugly in Web context).  So,
> I posted the following to c.i.w.m, but it also want to hear the comments of
> the Apache developers. Please give a hint...

Read RFC 1738 and 1808. A URI is anything that starts with UR*
(e.g. URL, URN, URC). a URL identifies a specific location in a
uniform way. so "http://www.anyhost.dom/foo/bar/quux/" is a URL (RFC
1738; also a URI). "/foo/bar/quux/" is an "absolute URL path" (RFC
1808), or just "URL path" (RFC 1808) or "url-path" (RFC 1738).

Apache uses this terminology inconsitently. But we're just
programers. Names of variables and structure members are just labels;
they don't necessarily mean anything. For example, the uri member of
request_rec: you might think it means "Uniform Resource Identifier",
but actually it is stands for "U R an Idiot".

Rob owes Roy beer.