httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Dirk.vanGulik" <>
Subject Re: apache (fwd)
Date Mon, 30 Sep 1996 06:58:21 GMT
> From Sat Sep 28 00:27:16 1996
> Date: Fri, 27 Sep 1996 15:28:22 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Brian Behlendorf <>
> Subject: Re: apache (fwd)
> On Fri, 27 Sep 1996, Dirk.vanGulik wrote:
> > > 	I wrote a patch to the API to do this, but decided that I
> > > didn't need it and got rid of it. (I'm sure I could find it, if there
> > > is a demand)
> >
> > We did the same; and am fairly sure I proposed that patch a while back;
> > but that got no comments. Shall we re-try ?
> Since so many people have asked for it, it seems like it would be important to
> add before 1.2 beta goes out.  We can just put a stub there pretty easily, yes?
> How does it affect backwards compatibility with third-party modules?

What I did was doing a little perl -pi.bak -e "s/... kind of regex to just add
a few stubs (one for per child init; and one post-we-have-read-all-configs-now-
so-please-check-them). This inevitably breaks third party modules. I looked at
the magic string; but cannot see any way to actually have the stubs made
conditional; apart from appending them on the end and treating them as an array.
Which has +1 entry if it is of the newer type. This works fine with ansi-cc but
not with gcc when you have the -O2 or hihger on.

*IF* we are going to make some additional stubs; and be backward compatible; these
are the ones I'd like to add

	- Post config-read; so we can check consistency between
	  directives and abort the startup
	- Per child init
	- Per child die
	- Pre-handler; which asks round what could *potentially* be served on a URI;
          gets back a list of possible internal redirects with the mime-type/lang/charset
	  and quality values.
	- Up to 4 placeholders for future use ?

View raw message