httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Laurie <...@gonzo.ben.algroup.co.uk>
Subject Re: More guessing?
Date Sun, 22 Sep 1996 08:49:21 GMT
Robert S. Thau wrote:

> There are situations where people have gcc, and prefer vendor cc for
> some reason (for instance, on HP-UX, vendor cc generates more compact
> code, or so I remember hearing).  There are also installations where
> the only tolerable compiler goes by neither of the names cc and gcc
> (SunOS with lcc, for example).
>
> Just pointing out situations where the proposed automation would go
> wrong, and leave users to investigate the entrails and pick up the
> pieces (fwiw, the major objection to autoconf --- it may be worth
> noting that autoconf-generated scripts do provide a way to override
> the internal defaulting of the compiler).

As I stated, I only intended to use this test when CC is not defined in
Configuration. As it is, anyone who uses anything other than gcc has to edit
it already. Guessing the compiler does not make this any harder, AFAICS, and
gcc is still chosen if it is a valid option. I'll happily add lcc to the
guesser - any others?

Cheers,

Ben.