httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@liege.ICS.UCI.EDU>
Subject Re: Autenticating users in cgi-bin directory (fwd)
Date Thu, 19 Sep 1996 17:31:53 GMT
> Date: Thu, 19 Sep 1996 09:40:12 -0700
> From: Javier Simo <jsimo@eurosur.org>
> To: apache-bugs@mail.apache.org
> Subject: Autenticating users in cgi-bin directory
>
> May be is a bug, may be not, but my Apache 1.1.1 seems to ignore the
> .htaccess file in my /cgi-bin directory. It sees and interprets correctly
> the .htaccess file in /docs/whatever (My DocumentRoot is /docs).

Apache's conf/access.conf-dist example shows a CGI directory with

<Directory /usr/local/etc/httpd/cgi-bin>
AllowOverride None
Options None
</Directory>

The "AllowOverride None" prevents reading of the .htaccess file.
Chances are, you have such a directive set for your CGI directory.
I recommend you leave it that way, and place any CGI directory restrictions
within the access.conf (for security reasons).

> But, what is amazing for me, it does work if I compile Apache with the
> SSL path!! (With the some modules, besides SSL).

Does the SSL patch change your access.conf?

 ...Roy T. Fielding
    University of California, Irvine, CA 92697-3425    fax:+1(714)824-4056
    http://www.ics.uci.edu/~fielding/