httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Laurie <...@gonzo.ben.algroup.co.uk>
Subject Re: More fun with micro$oft...
Date Sun, 08 Sep 1996 13:29:38 GMT
Robert S. Thau wrote:

> You know how Windows NT comes in two versions --- NT Server, which can
> handle intensive server use, and NT Workstation, which can't?  Turns
> out (according to the generally reliable, though certainly not
> disinterested, folks at O'Reilly & Associates) that the two products
> are the same --- same kernels, same DLLs; the only difference they
> could find between the two (aside from the extra components bundled
> with NT server) is a couple of registry settings which enable or
> disable the infamous ten-connection choke.  See
>
>   http://www.software.ora.com/news/ms_internet_andrews.html

I'm surprised that they think this is news. This is a Well Known Fact, AFAIK.

Certainly when MS sell you the MSDN, including _all_ MS OSes, what you get is
Workstation and not Server. I'm not aware of them ever having stated that they
were in anyway different other than the details mentioned above (which used to
be purely bundled software until V4).

Cheers,

Ben.