httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Richards <p.richa...@elsevier.co.uk>
Subject Re: $Id$ considered harmful
Date Thu, 26 Sep 1996 09:25:12 GMT
Ben Laurie <ben@gonzo.ben.algroup.co.uk> writes:

> > Also, I've never really seen the point of such headers, at least not
> > when using cvs.  You can always use "cvs log" to find out any
> > information you might need.
> >
> > Can we get rid of these headers?
>
> Fine by me ... I've had problems with them on import into CVS, too.

Not with me. Version strings are important for tracking changes. How
can you tell which version of a file you have when reporting a
problem. It's OK for us but not for people who don't have cvs access.

You should use the -k flag when importing these files into other cvs
trees. The other solution is to grab the patches that many other
groups have used and use $Apache$ instead of $Id$.

  Email: p.richards@elsevier.co.uk
  Phone: 0370 462071 (Mobile), +44 (0)1865 843155