httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Richards <p.richa...@elsevier.co.uk>
Subject Re: $Id$ considered harmful
Date Thu, 26 Sep 1996 14:57:43 GMT
Tom Tromey <tromey@creche.cygnus.com> writes:

> I doubt users frequently look into bugs deeply enough to realize that
> they are in version xxx of file yyy.  Instead you're more likely to
> get a report about a bug in "Apache 1.2".  This information implicitly
> contains the version number of every file.

If you're discussing bugs with people who are tracking the
inter-release sources then the only way of knowing what they're
running is from the $Id$ strings. They don't need to be in releases,
we could use export to do releases as far as I'm concerned. It's for
development that they're useful.

> At least, this is true for the base distribution.  For standalone
> modules, things might be different -- but I don't care much about this
> case.

For modules it provides a de-facto version number of that module (as
long as modules stay in one file, this seems to have just changed).

  Email: p.richards@elsevier.co.uk
  Phone: 0370 462071 (Mobile), +44 (0)1865 843155