httpd-dev mailing list archives

From dgau...@hotwired.com (Dean Gaudet)
Subject Re: ``Applies this URL to our current server?''
Date Sat, 14 Sep 1996 19:44:21 GMT
In article <hot.mailing-lists.new-httpd-199609131619.AA26693@en.muc.de>,
Ralf S. Engelschall <new-httpd@hyperreal.com> wrote:
>     ``How could a module determine if the URL http://host:port/url/ really
>       applies to the current (virtual) server instance?''

Isn't that gear already in read_request and its children?

I'm biased against the webserver going about trying to guess what
the adminstrator wants.  If we borrow from sendmail we'll notice that
the w class needs to be configured by the administrator -- it doesn't
go about looking at MX records to find out if it should be handling
the request.

read_request and its children use ServerAlias, ServerPath and <VirtualHost>
as hints to figure out what vhost to use.  If that functionality was
modularized you'd be able to use it in mod_rewrite.

Dean