httpd-dev mailing list archives

From dgau...@hotwired.com (Dean Gaudet)
Subject Re: WWW Form Bug Report: "Solaris sticks to SVID wrt FILE * limit to 255" on Solaris 2.x (fwd)
Date Wed, 04 Sep 1996 21:00:28 GMT
In article <hot.mailing-lists.new-httpd-199608300616.XAA23336@atropos.c2.org>,
sameer  <new-httpd@hyperreal.com> wrote:
>	Hopefully solaris 2.6 will fix this though? this -is- a really
>ugly bug that can be fixed really easily, I would think, by just
>editing a .h file in the stdio source.

They won't fix it if it breaks backwards compatibility, and if you
take a quick peek at /usr/include/stdio.h:

typedef struct  /* needs to be binary-compatible with old versions */
{
#ifdef _STDIO_REVERSE
        unsigned char   *_ptr;  /* next character from/to here in buffer */
        int             _cnt;   /* number of available characters in buffer */
#else
        int             _cnt;   /* number of available characters in buffer */
        unsigned char   *_ptr;  /* next character from/to here in buffer */
#endif
        unsigned char   *_base; /* the buffer */
        unsigned char   _flag;  /* the state of the stream */
        unsigned char   _file;  /* UNIX System file descriptor */
} FILE;

Oh damn, an unsigned char, and they can't even pull an alignment trick on
it.  So it won't be fixed.

Another related bug is that select() doesn't deal with descriptors > 1023.
I know they can fix that one though.

Dean