httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Michael Smith <...@cursci.co.uk>
Subject Re: Intra-server redirections in .htaccess
Date Thu, 19 Sep 1996 10:14:42 GMT
Ralf S. Engelschall wrote:

> No, please don't start hacking an ErrorDocument as I did in the old days.
> There is a much simpler solution: just use mod_rewrite and the following code
> in the .htaccess file of /here:
>
>     RewriteEngine on
>     RewriteRule   ^flob\.html$  /there/lob.html
>
> This will do a internal redirect. Try it out...

Dear Ralf,

Thanks for your advice - I have looked at your module and it looks very
powerful.  I am rather wary of using it though, as it makes my apache
binary nearly 20% bigger (184356->226840).  I haven't tested it out but
I guess that one would have to be careful about using it in httpd.conf;
as then each URL would be parsed which would make the server slower.

I'm not very experienced with servers though - do you think my
reservations are important or not?

Thanks for any further advice

Michael Smith