httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Hartill <r...@imdb.com>
Subject Apache too greedy about grabbing ports on IP addresses (fwd)
Date Mon, 30 Sep 1996 21:02:46 GMT

Could be related to Brian and others' current vhost thread..

not acked.

----- Forwarded message from Michael Alan Dorman -----

To: apache-bugs@apache.org
Newsgroups: comp.infosystems.www.servers.unix
Subject: Apache too greedy about grabbing ports on IP addresses
From: Michael Alan Dorman <mdorman@calder.med.miami.edu>
Date: 30 Sep 1996 16:28:37 -0400
Posted-To: comp.infosystems.www.servers.unix

that has been posted as well.

I have a server with five IP addresses (calder, www, debian, www-test,
sylvester).  I would like to run Apache on all but www-test---on that
address I want to run AOLServer, so that my departmental users can
take advantage of AOLPress for on-line authoring.

Unfortunately, Apache does not seem to be amenable to that.  When I
run Apache, it automatically tries to grab port 80 on all five
addresses.  If I already have AOLServer running (with just www-test
bound), Apache complains that it can't bind and dies.

If I _don't_ have AOLServer running, Apache starts fine, but it binds
to port 80 on all available IPs, and there's no way that I've been
able to find to stop it.

I've tried using BindAddress, but that kills all my virtual hosts.  I
tried putting all possible config directives inside VirtualHost
blocks, so there would be no real default server config, but Apache
bound itself to that port anyway.

Is there some way to avoid this behavior?  If not, it would be nice if
you could establish an extended BindAddress command that would list
all allowable IPs for binding, or an ExcludeAddress command that would
tell Apache which one not to touch.

I'd also be interested in any short-term workarounds anyone might be
able to suggest.

Mike.
--
Michael Alan Dorman                                   Head of Systems
mdorman@calder.med.miami.edu            Louis Calder Memorial Library

----- End of forwarded message from Michael Alan Dorman -----

--
Rob Hartill (robh@imdb.com)