httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Andrew Wilson <and...@aaaaaaaa.demon.co.uk>
Subject Re: catapult & apache (fwd)
Date Sun, 22 Sep 1996 12:17:42 GMT
> Any comments before I respond?
>
> I'm going to continue blocking MS-Catapult/0.9 because that is and always
> will be broken.

It was good of the guy to get in touch, and this sort of dialog
should be encouraged.

Please explain to the guy that you're blocking b3 Catapult by use
of an optional directive.  He should be aware that the out-of-the-box
server has no bias against any User-Agent, rather it is the webmaster
his/herself who decides if the server should be protected by adding
additional directives to the configuration files.

If necessary you could even add, in block capitals, that:

    THE APACHE WEBSERVER WILL NOT BLOCK THE REQUESTS OF ANY SPECIFIC
    USER-AGENT WITHOUT BEING TOLD SO TO DO BY ITS WEBMASTER.

You could even cc a copy of the UA blocking code you added to the
modules.

And smiling cures the onset of corporate paranoia too.

Cheers,
Ay.