httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Hartill <r...@imdb.com>
Subject with only as much as 8 virtual hosts I seem to reach the resource limit (fwd)
Date Thu, 19 Sep 1996 14:31:05 GMT

A vhost question.

BTW, the rate of bugs mail is constantly growing, so we should look
good for more jaw dropping numbers in the next Netcraft survey.

There are a few folks lurking out there who offer paid-for support.
It might be worth adding a link to the Apache related projects page
from the bugs address so that some of these people can get better individual
attention if they are willing to pay for it.

----- Forwarded message from Tomas Pospisek -----

Date: Wed, 18 Sep 1996 15:40:58 +0000 (GMT)
From: Tomas Pospisek <tpo@spin.ch>
To: apache-bugs@apache.org
Subject: with only as much as 8 virtual hosts I seem to reach the resource limit

with only as much as 8 virtual hosts I seem to reach the resource limit
(i.e. too many file handles) of the system.

System: Linux 2.0.10 / debian / 586 w. 32M RAM, 64 Swap
Apache: 1.0.0 & 1.1.1
Extra modules: none

Symptoms:

As soon as I rise the number of virtual hosts to 8 problems show up:
- CGI-scripts can not be executed (due to lack of file handles?)
  everything else works fine.

If I ignore the fact of the non-working CGI's and add a 9th, the server won't
  even start and will give me the error:
  fopen: too many open files.
  httpd could not (for example log pid to /va/run/httpd.pid)

I dind't try rising the filehandle limit - hack because linux tells me:
  # ulimit -S
  unlimited
  so I suppose it's not lying.

Current Config:

See end of email

Solution:

I left only one access_log and one error_log and it works. This is a pain in
the ass, as I'll have to fiddle around with filtering and such to give our
customers to possibility to check their  HTML stuff/virtual hosts.

Question:

The doc says that apache uses max 20 handles and every open file uses one.
-> 20 + 8*2 = 36. That's less than any OS I know supports. How come
then apache uses up it's file handles?!?!?!?

Config:

ServerType standalone
Port 80
User nobody
Group #-1

        ServerAdmin     admin@spin.ch
        DocumentRoot    /var/httpd/htdocs/
        ServerName      www.spin.ch
        ErrorLog           /var/httpd/logs/error_log
        TransferLog      /var/httpd/logs/access_log
        DirectoryIndex  index.html

<VirtualHost www.archobau.ch>
        ServerAdmin     archobau@spin.ch
        DocumentRoot    /var/httpd/htdocs/SubServers/archobau
        ServerName      www.archobau.ch
        ErrorLog        /home/archobau/logs/error_log
        TransferLog     /home/archobau/logs/access_log
        DirectoryIndex  index.htm
</VirtualHost>

etc...

At runtime there are about 10 - 15 apache-children runig on the machne.

                            Tomas Pospisek

           @ SPIN - Internet Services in Graubuenden/Switzerland
             for more info have a look at "http://www.spin.ch/"

----- End of forwarded message from Tomas Pospisek -----