httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Hartill <r...@imdb.com>
Subject WWW Form Bug Report: "CGI scripts fail (Premature end of header)" on SunOS 4.x (fwd)
Date Thu, 19 Sep 1996 12:11:59 GMT

He seems to have covered the usual explanations I'd give for
this behaviour.

Anyone?

----- Forwarded message from nanook@eskimo.com -----

From: nanook@eskimo.com
To: apache-bugs%apache.org@organic.com
Date: Thu Sep 19  4:38:29 1996
Subject: WWW Form Bug Report: "CGI scripts fail (Premature end of header)" on SunOS 4.x

Submitter: nanook@eskimo.com
Operating system: SunOS 4.x, version:
Version of Apache Used: 1.1.1
Extra Modules used:
URL exhibiting problem: http://www.malchick.com/

Symptoms:
--
With a large number of virtual domains configured
(over 100) CGI's intermittantly fail with a
Premature end of header (which is in script_util.c
I believe).

This same problem occurred with earlier versions
with only about 40 virtual domains, but with 1.1.1
it ran clean until we exceeded around 100.

We are running SUN/OS 4.1.4 configured for 2000
file descriptors (because virtual domains cause
the server to eat up more than 256 fd's), and we
linked to fsio because Sun's stdlib blows up past
256 descriptors since it uses an unsigned char
for the file descriptor in the FILE structure.
fsio uses a short instead.

I thought perhaps it related to the silly limit of
ten open FIFO's in the kernel but bumped that to
100 with no perceptable change and this happens
even during times of very low load like 4AM.

In the URL I am specifying, the counter will
occasionally fail if you repeatively hit reload.

It is definitely sensitive to the number of
virtual domains configured.
--

Backtrace:

----- End of forwarded message from nanook@eskimo.com -----