httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Hartill <r...@imdb.com>
Subject new option to HostnameLookups: 'mostlyoff'? (fwd)
Date Tue, 17 Sep 1996 17:15:44 GMT

not acked. I know the feature has been asked for before though.

----- Forwarded message from Ariel Glenn -----

Sender: ariel@watsun.cc.columbia.edu
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 1996 12:21:34 -0400
From: Ariel Glenn <ariel@columbia.edu>
To: apache-bugs@mail.apache.org
Subject: new option to HostnameLookups: 'mostlyoff'?

We set up our server a couple years ago without minimal dns becaus
e at that time performance was hardly an issue.  In fact, web
access was hardly an issue.  Now with 2-3 million hits a week,
it suddenly is, but a quick look shows we have over 9 thousand
.htaccess files, all of which use hostnames and not the ip
address to restrict access.  It would be very nice if there
was a switch to HostnameLookups which turned off lookups
unless we were in a directory where there is an htaccess file
and we need to do the check.  Has this sort of thing been
discussed at all? Otherwise I can look into it here.

Ariel Glenn
AcIS R&D, Columbia University

----- End of forwarded message from Ariel Glenn -----