httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Hartill <r...@imdb.com>
Subject Re: AddModule patch
Date Fri, 13 Sep 1996 01:26:43 GMT
Jim Jagielski wrote:

>Tom Tromey wrote:
>>
>> Appended are patches that implement AddModule and ClearModule list.
>> These patches are against the current contents of the cvs repository.
>> Also included is a patch to core.html to document the new directives.
>>

>I like the concept of these patches, but I (being devil's advocate)
>have to question how much they would really be used. The main
>advantage I would see, as has been mentioned, would be for the
>precompiled binaries. However, I doubt if the serious webmaster
>would keep the "bloated" binary, but would eventually simply
>recompile with whatever modules needed to reduce the memory
>footprint.

Talking of bloated binaries, if you can live with 2mb apache binaries,
give mod_perl_fast a whirl.

Actually, that's not quite fair most people won't get 2mb binaries, but
it's sure easy to achieve.

I think I might have the mother of all bloated binaries. Mine start at
2.2Mb and proceeed to anything up to 20Mb thanks to mod_perl_fast. With
a 20 request lifespan, they don't get a chance to eat all the memory.

If you have lots of perl, mod_perl_fast is for you. Apache 1.1.1 and 1.2
friendly and it comes with a free tarfile case for portability. Call now!.

rob