httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Hartill <r...@imdb.com>
Subject Re: Catapult in www.news.com...
Date Thu, 12 Sep 1996 21:54:57 GMT
Robert S. Thau wrote:

>From the www.news.com "rumor mill" column:
>
>            Microsoft is muscling in on a number of
>            Web sites with a beta version of its Proxy
>            Server, code-named Catapult. The latest
>            beta of the server, which caches Web
>            pages locally so ISPs and intranets can
>            make Web surfing zippier for their users,
>            can go into an infinite loop, bombarding
>            Web sites with requests for pages. One
>            Web site was hit with 40,000 requests for
>            Web pages within the span of 12 hours.
>            Eventually, the site declared Catapult
>            server non grata and banned all Microsoft
>            Proxy Servers from entry.

I've been watching the Catapult request keep on coming. They last
for weeks.. nothing shakes them off. They're happy to get a 403 to
every response every second for weeks at a time. There's nobody
at home at any of the sites using this software :-(  I've got
about 5 of the buggers now.. with a new one from Mexico today.

I haven't added them up, but I must have had over a million requests
already. Some were for banner ads, which really goes down well (not) with
customers.

:-(

I'm surprised nobody else has been hit by these. Well, surprised that
nobody has noticed and spilled the beans. I bet there are quite a few
people out there looking at healthier than usual hit statistics and
getting excited.