httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: Configur{e,ation} changes
Date Mon, 09 Sep 1996 20:21:30 GMT
Robert S. Thau wrote:

>   So, we can just put it somewhere in a directory called
>   "stupid.license.requirement" and forget about it.
>
> Well, if the authors of autoconf think it's OK for us to use
> config.guess in a non-autoconf configuration setup, then we pretty
> clearly don't need to go through shenanigans like this.  And if they
> don't, well...
>
> Quite aside from anybody's legal obligations, this sort of a license
> clause is an indication from the guys who wrote this software of how
> they want it to be used.  Conversely, "stupid.license.tricks" which
> aim to satisfy all the legal requirements on use of the code while
> ignoring the authors' clear intent are (aside from all legal questions
> about whether the trick in question actually *works*) a sign of
> serious disrespect towards said original authors.  That's not
> something I think we should be very cavalier about...

What I'm doing is placing the script stuff from autoconf in a autoconf
directory in ./src. Thus, a script is available and it's what's
included with the autoconf distribution. Thus we include config.guess
and a script and abide by the letter of the license. We are also
including the script for future use as well (possible) and thus
abide by the spirit as well.