httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <>
Subject Re: Configur{e,ation} changes
Date Mon, 09 Sep 1996 20:21:30 GMT
Robert S. Thau wrote:
>   So, we can just put it somewhere in a directory called
>   "stupid.license.requirement" and forget about it.
> Well, if the authors of autoconf think it's OK for us to use
> config.guess in a non-autoconf configuration setup, then we pretty
> clearly don't need to go through shenanigans like this.  And if they
> don't, well...
> Quite aside from anybody's legal obligations, this sort of a license
> clause is an indication from the guys who wrote this software of how
> they want it to be used.  Conversely, "stupid.license.tricks" which
> aim to satisfy all the legal requirements on use of the code while
> ignoring the authors' clear intent are (aside from all legal questions
> about whether the trick in question actually *works*) a sign of
> serious disrespect towards said original authors.  That's not
> something I think we should be very cavalier about...

What I'm doing is placing the script stuff from autoconf in a autoconf
directory in ./src. Thus, a script is available and it's what's
included with the autoconf distribution. Thus we include config.guess
and a script and abide by the letter of the license. We are also
including the script for future use as well (possible) and thus
abide by the spirit as well.

Jim Jagielski  << >>   |   "There is a time for laughing,
      Email:          |    and this is not one of them"
++         +++      Voice/Fax: 410-931-3157       ++

View raw message