httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Robert S. Thau" <...@ai.mit.edu>
Subject Re: Configur{e,ation} changes
Date Mon, 09 Sep 1996 20:10:54 GMT
  So, we can just put it somewhere in a directory called
  "stupid.license.requirement" and forget about it.

Well, if the authors of autoconf think it's OK for us to use
config.guess in a non-autoconf configuration setup, then we pretty
clearly don't need to go through shenanigans like this.  And if they
don't, well...

Quite aside from anybody's legal obligations, this sort of a license
clause is an indication from the guys who wrote this software of how
they want it to be used.  Conversely, "stupid.license.tricks" which
aim to satisfy all the legal requirements on use of the code while
ignoring the authors' clear intent are (aside from all legal questions
about whether the trick in question actually *works*) a sign of
serious disrespect towards said original authors.  That's not
something I think we should be very cavalier about...

rst