httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: Configur{e,ation} changes
Date Mon, 09 Sep 1996 10:55:38 GMT
Alexei Kosut wrote:

> I uploaded a few weeks ago a set of scripts (generated by autoconf)
> that do exactly what you just said. You didn't seem to like them; I
> never did quite figure out why.

S'funny, I thought I mentioned why.

The package required to do that was huge. Plus there were licensing
questions about it. Plus it didn't follow our guidelines of using
the "lowest common denominator" shell capabilities (ie: no functions,
etc...).

I'll start on a Configure.guess right now... It'll be much easier
to maintain; it'll be ours and it'll be tiny and simply. Some may
complain about reinventing the wheel, but if all you need is a wagon
wheel (which is easy to make), you don't invest in a surplus
Firestone factory :)