httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: An idea for error logging
Date Wed, 04 Sep 1996 19:19:14 GMT
sameer wrote:

> > I was proposing '/dev/null' be special to the logging module, such
> > that when Apache saw that ErrorLog was sent to /dev/null, Apache
> > didn't even bother opening up /dev/null, saving a fd.
> >

> 	I propose
> ErrorLog disabled
>
> 	for this purpose. Useing /dev/null is counter-intuitive.
>
> 	But I don't like disabling the errorlog. It's very valuable.

Yeah, but if you want to disable it you:

   1. Should be able to
   2. Without using up a fd

Consider a site with loads of virtual-hosts and they don't want to
be bothered by ErrorLog for those v-hosts. Using /dev/null for each
one burns a fd for each host; using a common log avoids that, but
maybe the site would prefer not having the I/O load.

Using /dev/null as the magic cookie makes sense (it's obvious
they want to throw the output away) and if they want to do that,
why not simply stop error-logging totally for that host?