httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Randy Terbush <ra...@zyzzyva.com>
Subject Re: HTTP/1.1
Date Mon, 02 Sep 1996 15:01:48 GMT
>   BTW, with all the other changes to Configuration, why hasn't anyone
>   moved the directory-setting defaults out of httpd.h and into a separate
>   include file generated by Configure?
>
> We've been around this before... the last time (quite a while ago,
> IIRC), the upshot was that in common practice, these defaults weren't
> used much anyway (the usual thing being to override them at run time
> via the command-line -f and -d options), so it wasn't considered worth
> fussing with them in config scripts at that point.
>
> rst

Agreed. It is difficult however to install Apache into a BSD environment
for example if you wish to conform to the "standard".  ie /var/run, /var/log,
etc.

Nothing that can't be accomplished at runtime, but for organizations
that are supporting Apache on these systems, limiting the number of
ways a user could go astray is a good thing.