httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Randy Terbush <ra...@zyzzyva.com>
Subject Re: HTTP/1.1
Date Mon, 02 Sep 1996 02:02:32 GMT
> Randy Terbush wrote:
> >
> > > Oh, I forgot to mention that it would also be okay if we just put a
> > > note to the effect of
> > >
> > >    If you enable mod_proxy, please change the SERVER_PROTOCOL to HTTP/1.0
> > >    in httpd.h.
> > >
> > > in the Configuration.
> > >
> > > BTW, with all the other changes to Configuration, why hasn't anyone
> > > moved the directory-setting defaults out of httpd.h and into a separate
> > > include file generated by Configure?  It sure is weird having to edit
> > > httpd.h when everything else is configured by script, and we'll need this
> > > for autoconfig eventually anyway.
> > >
> > > .....Roy
> >
> > I agree. I long ago became tired of editing httpd.h every install
> > and reverted to controlling this at the command line. It would be
> > nice to offer some control in the configuration process. At the
> > very least, for --prefix.
> >

> I'm confused... Which ones can't be overridden runtime? I know the
> config files can't but so what? :)

There is something to be said for being able to run 'httpd' at the
command line and have it know the defaults. There is also something
to be said for removing everything from your config files that is
standard (and configured at compile) to your installations. At the
very least, you need to give it -d and often -f.

I think we can even configure the phase of the moon in the config
files these days. It would be nice to lose some of the common stuff.

> How about wrapping them in a #ifndef to assure that additions in Configuration
> take precendent?

That would allow us to slowly add things we want to be able to more
easily configure at compile time.