httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Nathan Neulinger <nn...@umr.edu>
Subject could someone update the mod_auth_external.c with the new one
Date Sun, 04 Aug 1996 20:13:49 GMT
I put the current mod_auth_external.c in /httpd/incoming. It does external
groups as well now.

----

On a side note, I would like to be able to pipe the authentication data
into the external routine, but I don't see any clean way to do that in the
code. The reason is, uising environment variables works great for some
architectures, but is as insecure as using the command line for others
(i.e. sys v based where you can list environment in ps command.)

Would it be better to use a pipe or to write the authentication data out to
a temporary file, and pass the temporary file on the command line, then
remove the file when done? This actually might work better on all
architectures, but it means more i/o.

I'll probably add a:   SetExternalAuthMethod <identifier> <passing method>
with: environment, pipe, file as the types, with environment being the default.

If someone on here who is familiar with the code for launching external
processes could help on this I'd appreciate it. Basically what I need is
something that does the following:

	opens a pipe to some given external command
	writes two lines to that command
	gets the exit code from the external process

If it could time out as well, that would be good too.

I could do this without any trouble normally, but with all the other stuff
going on in the server...

Thanks.

-- Nathan

Nathan Neulinger                  Univ. of Missouri - Rolla
EMail: nneul@umr.edu                  Computing Services
WWW: http://www.umr.edu/~nneul      SysAdmin: rollanet.org