httpd-dev mailing list archives

From sco...@taliesin.cs.ucla.edu (Scott Michel)
Subject Re: WWW Form Bug Report: "License question" on OTHER: (fwd)
Date Thu, 22 Aug 1996 21:36:51 GMT
Rob Hartill says:
> My question: I read the LICENSE file coming, with the 1.1.1
> source several times.  Unfortunately, I'm not an expert in
> free Software and Pulic Licenses.  I think I'm right, but
> could you please confirm that we do not infringe
> any Licenses, Copyrights of the Apache Group, when
> we port derived work from the Apache Server Code to
> a commercial hardware application ?

- Are they making the source code available to the end user?
- Do they inform the end user that source code is available?

> (I heard from Public Licenses that do not allow to derive
> commercial products from a PD/free Software, but the
> derived Software itsself must be put in the PD.  Ok,
> our Product will not be a Software package but
> a Hardware device coming with an installed HTTP Server.)
> Please send a reply to this.

I believe that derived software isn't the issue, it's really
an issue of maintenance and who provides the maint. For example,
Cygnus creates "derived" versions of GCC for other customers, but
it becomes Cygnus's problem to support it. So long as they don't
expect or anticipate support from the Apache Group ...

Basically, you should require some principal from SysKonnect
to acknowledge that they are creating a proprietary extension
and that they will not expect, bother, harrass, or otherwise
belabor the Apache Group for support nor hold the Apache Group
liable for any kind of damage. It may say this in the license,
but you can't be too paranoid -- the lawyers ARE really out to
get anyone they can.

> When reading the LICENSE File, I found item 4 saying
> "The names Apache Server .... ... without prior written
> permission"
> But it does not say where to get this written permission.
> Otherwise, I would have send this request to this
> address and not the buglist.

I think some attribution to this group's hard work should be
required.

Just my $0.023981132 (adjusted for quarterly returns, ROI, and
inflation. Your mileage may vary. Tax, title, license, documentation
fees not included. Price subject to change w/o notice. Always drive
with furry creatures on your lap.)

-scottm