httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <ako...@organic.com>
Subject Re: aliased directory (fwd)
Date Thu, 29 Aug 1996 10:21:13 GMT
On Thu, 29 Aug 1996, Rob Hartill wrote:

> when pointing as a real directory one can omit the trailing slash:
>
> http://somewhere.com/directory
> is the same as      /directory/
> and of course       /directory/index.html
>
> yet with aliased directories (Alias tag) the first option will look for a
> file in the root called "directory" instead.

Yes, if your Alias entries look something like this:

Alias /virtual/ /real/

A request to /virtual does not match this, because of the trailing slash
in the entry. There's a very simple fix; don't use them:

Alias /virtual /real

This should do exactly what you want it to do. I do realize the example
configuration files have the trailing slashes - this is because earlier
versions of Apache had a bug wherein "Alias /foo" would also match a
request for /foobar. This has been fixed in recent versions, and is safe
to use.  Perhaps we will change the conf files in a future release.

Thanks for using Apache!