httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <ako...@organic.com>
Subject Re: Apache 1.1.1 after 16 days
Date Tue, 27 Aug 1996 18:12:44 GMT
On Tue, 27 Aug 1996, Paul Sutton wrote:

> Isn't this fixed with the BROKEN_WAIT stuff? It was reported on IRIX and
> setting #define BROKEN_WAIT gets children reaped every 60 seconds or so.
> Perhaps this needs setting on Solaris 2 as well?

Oh, yaeh... that's right. Actually, I think it needs setting all the time.
I've seen this happen on at least Solaris and BSDI. It probably occurs on
all systems. I'm more inclined to think it's a bug in Apache, rather than
in the OS. It's doubtful that (at the least) IRIX, Solaris and BSDI have
the same, broken, implementation.

I did spend some time once trying to track down this bug, I never did. I
think it's related to the timeout code, though. Near as I can tell, a
request will come in, the process will stop, it will stay alive for some
amount of time (possibly the length of a timeout) in idle state, then die.
It's entry is not, however, removed from the scoreboard; therein lies the
problem, of course.

I think we should either fix it or permenately enable the BROKEN_WAIT
code.