httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <ako...@organic.com>
Subject Re: Ermm ... another thing
Date Wed, 21 Aug 1996 19:06:29 GMT
On Wed, 21 Aug 1996, Ben Laurie wrote:

> Another small point. I think that the HSREGEX and BADMMAP rules should actually
> be set per-platform, not at the user's discretion (platforms to be determined
> during beta testing, of course).

The problem is that they can't. Specifically, you need to be more specific
than "Solaris" or "HP-UX". As I understand it, Solaris 2.5 has a working
threads package, 2.4 does not; a similar situation applies to Linux. HP-UX
9.04 has a working shared-memory mmap implementation on Rob Hartill's
copy, but not mine. The former can be determined by doing a more specific
examiniation of the platform, but not the latter - pretty much the only
way is to actually write a C program that does it, and see what happens.
autoconf actually can be used to do this.

> And on the subject of configuration - what happened to the auto platform detect
> idea?

I think it was decided to be too much work, when we're planning on
re-doing this all for 2.0 anyhow possibly. Probably we could use
autoconf's config.guess script (which is very nice for this purpose), but
it's protected under the GNU license unless you use it with autoconf, so
that makes it difficult.

I think the basic reason that we didn't do more is that it'd be work that
has to be redone for 2.0 anyhow, because it will have much more of this
sort of stuff, and there's a good chance we'll use autoconf, so any work
done now would be for naught later.