httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <ako...@organic.com>
Subject Re: Suggested change to directory listings
Date Tue, 20 Aug 1996 20:23:25 GMT
On Sat, 17 Aug 1996, Rob Hartill wrote:

> >This is not so much a bug as a misleading feature.  When Apache 1.1.1
> >lists a directory, file sizes are truncated to the next lowest kilobyte
> >or megabyte.  Users have complained that 1.8 Mb files are listed as 1 Mb.
> >That's a big difference when estimating download times on slow connections.
> >
> >I recommend altering the code for send_size in util_script to:
> >
> >	1.  round instead of truncate, and
> >	2.  report fractional megabytes.
> >
> >The patch at the end of this message implements those changes.

I've commited this. In testing it (it works fine), I noticed something
interesting (unrelated to the patch): tar.gif is 24x24 pixels, but the
others are 20x22. This makes Netscape, for example, push all the tar lines
over one space, which is visually disconcerting.

I remember that when I added the newer new icons for 1.1, there was no
tar icon, so I used the one from 1.0, but I didn't think to check the
sizes. (it looks slightly different, but not noticibly so).

Would someone like to create a tar.gif that's like the current one, but
matches the shadow and size of the other icons? That would be good.