httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <ako...@organic.com>
Subject Re: mod_rewrite doc for Apache 1.2
Date Tue, 20 Aug 1996 19:02:10 GMT
On Tue, 20 Aug 1996, Ralf S. Engelschall wrote:

> Ok, we have recently added mod_rewrite to the Apache core distribution.
> Now I'm thinking about documentation. Ok, I know that the next Apache 1.2
> release will not be tomorrow, but when any 1.2 release comes out, there
> should be also be available on www.apache.org a documentation for
> mod_rewrite.
>
> Well, mod_rewrite _HAS_ still a huge documentation at
> http://www.engelschall.com/sw/mod_rewrite/arc/mod_rewrite-SNAP/doc/
> These files (I splitted the old huge file into smaller peaces now) can be
> added to the other bulk of doc files on www.apache.org.
>
> My question is: Is the current documentation for mod_rewrite ok for
> inclusion into the doc suite of Apache or have it be in some special way or
> layout?

It's probably best to follow (to some degree) the Apache manual format.
Additionally, the documentation as it is now is too extensive: it should
not contain instructions on installation, or references to other modules
such as mod_rewrite_compat.

On a related issue, documentation for 1.2 is something that's going to
have to be dealt with at some time, but it does need a concentrated
effort. Someone needs to (as I did for 1.1), go through the apache-cvs
logs, find every change, add them to the src/CHANGES file, and then take
the major functional changes, and put them in the CHANGES file (the other
one) and make a page at http://www.apache.org/docs/1.2/ that contains
documentation on all that stuff (similar to http://www.apache.org/docs/1.1/)

It's a fun job, trust me :)