httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <ako...@organic.com>
Subject Re: Negotiation updates, and transparent neg.
Date Mon, 19 Aug 1996 19:55:54 GMT
Patching in this patch, and testing it, I've noticed (after about two
minutes) several things which are simply wrong

1) When it sends what should be a 300, the first line of the response is:

HTTP/1.0  200 206 301 302 304 400 401 403 404 405 406 411 412 500 503 501
502 506

This seems wrong.

2) I have question about when it sends choice responses as opposed to list
more than it should. But I haven't looked further into why or how.

3) A lot of the changes I made on Friday no longer work (this is now
without transparent negotiation). Namely:

a. en-US has to match en, not just en has to match en-US.
b. The smallest variant should get chosen, in the absense of other
   consideration. Namely, if I have a three-byte GIF and a four-byte JPEG,
   and send a request with "Accept: */*", "Accept: image/gif, image/jpeg"
   or without an Accept: header, it sends me the JPEG. It should send the
   GIF.
c. Wildcard tweaking. We need this. "Accept: */*, image/gif" for the same
   variants sends the JPEG. The algorithm I used (if there are no q-values
   (or Negotiate: headers), make */* have a quality of 0.01 and type/*
   a quality of 0.02) has been carefully tested in a number of scenarios
   with current browsers.

4) If I'm negotiating between, say, foo.gif and foo.gif.gz, it does not
set "Vary: accept-encoding", which it should. It does set it when
negotiating between foo.gif.Z and foo.gif.gz

5) I don't know why you did this, but you replaced 406 with 404 for
pre-HTTP/1.1 responses. 406 is perfectly fine to send to HTTP/1.0.

There are probably other things: in general, the code looks very good,
nice, clean and commented. However, its behavior seems wrong a good part
of the time. I'm not quite sure why this is, but it does.

Thanks.