httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <ako...@organic.com>
Subject Re: hook to an API function on fork()
Date Fri, 16 Aug 1996 23:38:41 GMT
On Sat, 17 Aug 1996, Andrew Wilson wrote:

> > This is a Bad Idea.
>
> Ah, so that's why.

Hmm. I could have *sworn* I explained that sentance. *sigh* My brian's
gone, I guess. Okay. What I meant by that is the same thing RST said the
first time that you brought this up; overloading the handler semantics
like that isn't a very clean interface, it has a great potential for
confusion, and sets a bad precedent. In addition, it slows the server down
- for each check added in that way, it means you have to do a string match
of each handler. One time for actually handling the files is fine. Doing
it lots of times, especially when you may not be likely to find an
appropriate string, is not. Adding a function pointer to a lookup table
somehow (whether via another entry in module_rec, or via an api_register()
function like you suggested), is vastly perferably, because it is a lot
faster to simply go through a list of pointers and check for non-NULL
ones.

Hopefully, that's less cryptic than my original statement.