httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <ako...@organic.com>
Subject Re: Netscape and Keepalives
Date Thu, 15 Aug 1996 18:01:32 GMT
On Thu, 15 Aug 1996, Jim Jagielski wrote:

> Maybe I'm seeing something different then... When I access some pages
> served by 1.2-dev using Netscape, occasionally Netscape will just
> "hang" for few/several seconds before it reports Done. No additional
> updating is done during this period (if I hit Stop, the page is the
> same as it would be if I let NS continue)... Doesn't happen at all
> with MIE.
>
> Is this one symptom of the keepalive problem?

This is the symptom of a different keepalive problem with Netscape. Are
these pages very small (under 1024 bytes) and are you on a fast local
network? If so, you may be running into the problem where if Navigator
reads the entire body of the entity in the same read as the headers, it
won't recognize keepalive status. We added the fflush() to stop this from
happening, but on a very fast network, it still can sometimes.