httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <ako...@organic.com>
Subject Re: CALL FOR VOTE: Inclusion of mod_rewrite v2.2
Date Tue, 13 Aug 1996 03:05:02 GMT
On Mon, 12 Aug 1996, Aram Mirzadeh wrote:

> Well, just my two cents, I think the core modules, should be exactly that.
> The bare minimums to get a httpd daemon up and running.  Everything else is
> luxury, and should be "an option".

I vehemently disagree, and precedence disagrees with you as well. The
"bare minimums" are no modules at all. Apache will function just fine
without them. What amounts to the "core" set is what was in NCSA httpd
1.3R, which was by no means a "simple, bare minimum" server. Server-side
includes? CGI? Imagemaps? All of that stuff is incredibly optional, as
Apache sees things. The asis module? When was the last time you even
*used* that? Yet we include it all by default.

There are over 100,000 sites using Apache. I'd wager 99.9% of those do not
get more than *maybe* a couple thousand hits a day. A 386 running Linux or
FreeBSD can handle that without problem. The 0.1% that's left, that need
the speed and power that Apache provides at its peak, can afford
(literally)  to tailor their hardware and software to fit their exact
needs.

In other words, it takes a lot less keystrokes for those people who's
hardware can't afford to have mod_rewrite compiled in to comment it out
than for those people who couldn't care less and want its functionality
to uncomment it.

Power steering is an "option", but when was the last time you bought a car
without one? Heck, a fuel tank is an "option". The car will run just fine
without one, it just won't last long.